Monday, February 11, 2013

My Non-Profit Is The Best.

I am so glad that I have chosen El Zócalo to work with for this class!

Today I had the opportunity to talk to Sarah Mullaly, the director, on the phone. She seems like she will be really great to work with. Since their formation, she's been the main driving force for the organization. Other people come and go, adding their expertise and time, but then moving on to other things. As a result, she's thrilled to have more help!

In case you're not a faithful reader, or you've simply forgotten, El Zócalo is a local organization that works to provide assistance and resources to immigrants in the central Arkansas area. They've only been around about a year and a half, so they are still very much in the growing stages!

I'm so excited to get started on a project to help this organization! There are, of course, challenges. El Zócalo isn't a registered 501c3, so donations aren't tax deductible. It also means that to apply for grants we have to apply as a part of another organization. Luckily, they've already done some applications and things so we have a basis! Seriously, they're fantastic. I hope this project is the start of an ongoing relationship!

3 comments:

  1. Well, this was a less than exciting discovery. I was under the impression this had published on 3/2!

    I was using the Blogger mobile app. It may not be my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really does sound like an awesome organization! Once school isn't eating my life (53 days), I'd really like to look into volunteering for them. It would be a great way to keep up my Spanish while giving back to the community.

    Idea for another blog post: How can we volunteer for El Zócalo?

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a fantastic idea!! Look for it coming up. ;)

    ReplyDelete