Sunday, April 7, 2013

Who doesn't love public art?

Thanks to wonderful genius and classmate, Nicolle Boswell (who has her own blog about advocacy writing), I am taking an entirely different approach to my grant search.

I had been looking for a substantial grant that would meet the needs of an existing operating budget but, frankly, that's hard. Most foundations seem to want to fund fun things--things that they can post pictures of and tell cool stories about. Light bills don't really meet that criteria!

I also considered filling out an application for a grant from a local Catholic Charities organization, but I feel like El Zócalo has that one under control (they've received the grant before). It just didn't get my creative fire going, you know?

Then, Nicolle posted the link to the Inside Out Project and it was like I'd met my project soul mate. I love photography, I love public art, and I love raising awareness. I had seen the project before, but I had never thought about it as a way to increase immigrant visibility. I've emailed the organization to get more details about the process for initiating a project! While I wait, I'm focusing my grant search on public art projects.

I hope I can find something!

1 comment:

  1. She's amazing in the idea department, yeah?

    I'm glad this is starting to work out for you!

    ReplyDelete